Sunday 17 April 2011

Hat-tip to Mr Laithwaite

I recently received from Laithwaite's (http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/) a half-case of McPherson Family Vineyards 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon under the charming label of Jock's Vineyard. I admit freely to being a fan of robust Australian reds, and have no time for the all-too-common, namby-pamby, hands-thrown-up-in-horror reaction which so many people demonstrate. This is not, of course, to say that a full-bodied red will suit every occasion, or that there is no place for more delicate flavours, but a good, chewy wine is a joy to behold.

I digress. The Jock's Vineyard cab. sauv. is a delight. A rich, spicy, fruit-laden bouquet leads in to a smooth-but-deep mouthful of berries and smooth tannins. An excellent, warming glass on its own, it also provides a marvellous partner for a good steak (I can attest), or, I dare say, a game or beef stew. Alas it appears that the bin end has run out, but if you can find any, grab it. I paid something like six pounds a bottle, but this is a tipple that can hold its own in the company of wine twice or three times the price. Simply delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment