Saturday 14 January 2017

The groves of academe

Dear readers,

Like many of my former colleagues in the corridors of power, I am the author of an as-yet-unfinished PhD thesis. Indeed, Westminster is awash with possessors of arcane knowledge; my first boss had written a doctorate on the mediaeval bridges of England, while another colleague was an expert on early modern French erotica. I had my viva a month before I started work, and was passed subject to corrections. Fine, I thought, I’ll easily tend to those minor amendments in the evenings and at weekends. Eleven years later, here we are…

I have written of the pitfalls of New Year resolutions, but, flouting the spirit of “Physician, heal thyself”, I have resolved to finish the corrections and resubmit the thesis this year. In the dying days of December, I dared to open the files on my laptop for the first time in years, and was pleasantly surprised (more relieved than anything else, actually) to find that it was readable and didn’t make me squirm with embarrassment. It also contained chunks of knowledge I had completely forgotten having. A good friend of mine has a similarly unfinished magnum opus, and I have suggested a pact that we conclude 2017 with an expensive bottle of whisky, having finished our respective doctorates.

There are several motivations behind my perhaps-rash resolution. In a mechanistic and utilitarian sense, in the interim period until I win the EuroMillions, it would be beneficial from a career standpoint to have the magical title of Doctor (and you can bet it’s going on credit cards, driving licence, passport, anywhere). In a psychological sense, it would be satisfying to tie up a loose end and finish a long-dormant project, perhaps proving something to my supervisor who must have torn his hair out. Importantly, though, it would also entitle me to sport a gown of a shade formally, I believe, described as spectrum blue (and there won’t be any of this graduating in absentia shit for me, you can rest assured). I am very fond of my master’s gown, though I hardly get to wear it these days – there was a time when it got an outing at least once a week – and the hue of the lining of my senior hood is a pleasing saffron yellow colour, but the electric blue number is a definite step up. (The real prize, though very rarely awarded, is the DLitt: a gown of saffron yellow lined with ivory silk, with a hood to match. I have once seen one of these worn and it was swoontastic.)

Being a PhD student is a strange business (though is a grain of truth, if I may adapt the old aphorism, to the notion that if you can remember my postgraduacy then you weren’t really there). Oddly enough, because the opposite is much more often true, I was a much more social creature as a postgraduate than I had been as an undergraduate. It took me a long time to find my feet properly at university and I was already a Master when I really began to flourish. I think my supervisor, and very probably most of my fellow researchers, regarded my extra-curricular activities as deeply infra dig, and, given that most of them are now fully-fledged academics and I am not, who is to say they were wrong? All I can say is, I had a whale of a time.

It is, however, as I say, a rum do. Doctoral students can be very solitary souls, as they “deep dive” into a subject that even their supervisors may only be glancingly familiar with, and it is easy to exist in one’s own hermetically sealed silo. My faculty tried to overcome this by having fortnightly seminars, strictly on a three-line whip, at which students would present papers on some aspect of their research and, essentially, explain it to their fellows. As well as bringing hermit crabs out of their shells, this was good experience for aspiring lecturers (as postgraduates we were allowed, encouraged and sometimes required to supervise seminars but were not generally let loose on lecture halls). Even with this discipline, I was left somewhat out on a limb, as an historian of Catholic England studying at an institute famous for its Protestant historiography.

Some of my colleagues – and I know it’s a cliché but it happens to be true, the Germans were particularly prominent in this regard – were sufficiently organized and disciplined to treat their studies almost as an office job. They would turn up at the institute at 9.00 am, work till 5.00 pm or 6.00 pm, then go home. I am sure this was, for them, enormously productive; if you think of the man hours (person hours!) you put in like that over three or four years, they really add up, and suddenly researching and writing 100,000 words doesn’t seem like such a Herculean effort. I wasn’t like that. Partly, I am very much an owl rather than a lark, so early mornings, except when I was teaching, were Not My Thing, especially if the night before had been a heavy one (and there were many of those). I would protest, though, I hope not too much, that it was not merely a matter of fecklessness and libertinism. I did for a while have an office (a shared room, I hasten to add) next to my supervisor’s, but I found it an unconducive place to work. My room-mates, while perfectly pleasant, liked the radio on, and I didn’t like the presence of other people. I found them distracting and I felt self-conscious. (Ironic, this, as I now write best in pubs, albeit quiet ones.) I also bridled at the lurking presence of my supervisor next door. It was like having an invigilator stand right behind you all the way through an exam.

Eventually, we reached a compromise. I vacated the much sought-after desk in the department and would work in the library or at home (I had a succession of very comfortable flats, for rents which nowadays seem absurdly cheap), and would call in at regular intervals to update my supervisor on my progress or submit chunks of written work. In fact, though, the bulk of the writing was done after I had moved south of the Forth to Edinburgh, at our large kitchen table which I could cover with paper and where I could have a couple of glasses of wine to aid the creative process. (If I have any advice to give to aspiring researchers, it is that Riesling is a very good drafting wine. Don’t ask me why, it just is.)

Along with my studies, I pursued a more active social life than a lot of my fellow postgraduates, and was described in the student newspaper as “an old-fashioned hack”. My level of electoral success in student politics can be judged by the fact that I was elected unopposed as postgraduate representative on the University Senate by 52 votes; 26 people voted to re-open nominations. Still, a win is a win, and it was my only campus-wide victory. Three times I was thwarted in my ambition to become President of the Debating Society, and yes, if you want to know, I’m still bitter. (The first two were fair defeats; the third was a stab in the back, by a German who had obviously learned the meaning of Dolchstoßlegende.)

Should I have been a more sober and sensible individual? Perhaps. Had I done so I might now be a PhD of some standing and reputation, instead of somebody creeping back to the fringes of academe in early middle age. But I enjoyed it. Goodness me, I enjoyed it. In my postgraduate years I made some lifelong friends, the sort of friends you don’t always see very often but with whom you can pick up the thread of companionship within seconds of meeting again. I learned something about teaching, too. My greatest lesson was that you can cope with any number of indifferent students who are just there to tick off the module credits, and even the odd complete duffer, if there are one or two students who are visibly engaged and enthused in the subject. They make all the difference. It was particularly true of the period I was teaching; not all of the students had studied any early modern history – what do you mean, there aren’t any Nazis? – and so bringing them to some understanding of and empathy with the subject was enormously satisfying.

I do think that postgraduate students can miss out of the more social aspects of university life. It’s particularly true if, unlike me, you move universities to study for your PhD. There is an efficiency in treating it like a job, but it’s a cold and rather bland efficiency, at least to my mind. Moreover, postgraduates, being that little bit older and, it is to be hoped, worldly-wise, have a lot to offer the student community. I was a loyal and active member of my university’s debating society, and on the rare occasions that postgraduates could be induced to attend and participate, they usually had interesting things to say. This was doubly true of those who had been out in what I gather is called the real world and had come back to university life later in life.

Of course, it’s all about striking a balance, and I’m sure I didn’t always get it right (see above). It must also depend on what sort of university you attend. For me, the university dominated the town and everybody lived on top of each other. Had I been in London or another big city, my experience might have been very different. It would have been different again had I been at a more modern campus university.

All of which brings me back to my resolution. 2017 will be The Year of the PhD. I have already spread my Twitter tentacles out to begin to re-engage with the academic world, and have put out a few pitches to history conferences. We shall see what becomes of them. But remember: Riesling.

No comments:

Post a Comment